European Diaries

What I experience is what you read. Travels of an exchange student in Europe.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Bienvenue!

Wow!!!
That was my natural reaction when I stepped out at the Frankfurt Airport. Too spellbound to take photos. Finally managed to take one of 4 tired ladies who had no clue as to what was happening to them.



Fraport is huge and huge is an understatement.


Its easy to get lost. Well I didn't and I ended up on the correct flight; destination: Marseille.

One of those small planes which let you see the ground below. I had sufficiently recovered my senses to take a few Google Earth type snaps.



Then I stepped out on French soil for the first time, and it felt very nice. After a short cab drive into a nice little town called Aix-en-Provence, we settled down into small dorm rooms. I like mine. Just what is needed for a little solitude. My window overlooks on some wooded hills and a solitary bare mountain which I now know to be Mont Sainte Victoire which Cezanne painted too. Even looks like the same place. Kidding.



Then I found that almost all shops here close by 20:00. Kinda depressing, but now I like that too. You would then find a lot of people on the sidewalk cafes, brasseries and restaurants. Seems like eating out is a very common thing here, something that we couldn't afford (for all the PPP stuff we boast of, we are still poor or maybe a bit stingy)


The roads are just beautiful. That is one adjective I'm going to abuse :) Paved with stones or just nicely tarred. Instinctively I wait for the cars to pass by before I cross, instead I am waved on by the driver. I'd probably be run over in road-rash Gurgaon-Delhi.


Cheap stuff? You must be kidding. Well there is bread, butter, milk and cheese. Then there is juice and wine :)

The people. They are nice and the girls are beautiful. And they are helpful, and even try to speak some English. You would be quite well off if you knew French. Thank goodness the Institute is offering us French classes.

This little verse should sum up things quite well.

Well I'm hungry
So what do I eat?
Pate d' Foie gras
And some meat?

No, I'd go down under
in just a week
Believe a poor man
For the truth I speak

So for now
Its bread and butter
The staple food
For breakfast, lunch and dinner

But the good food and wine
Shall not be wasted
The gourmet delights of France
I shall not leave untasted

This ends post number one.

5 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger Kirti said...

AMAZIN!
but oye! tere darshan nahi hue abhi tak!

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Gordon DSouza said...

dude whats a 'brasserie'?

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my roomies the best!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Salesman said...

bhobe saale, kanjoosi mat kar aur kuch khaa le, nahin to invisible man in france movie banana padega...

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Samit said...

Bhobe.. Gordon's asking something..................... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home